03 April 2007

PD International Half Marathon 2007

"Concentration is the secret of strength." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

That's what I did during the Port Dickson International Half Marathon last Sunday, 1st April. I really struggled to finish up the 21.2km run as it was raining heavily from the start till the end.


I almost gave up & felt like stopping before the first 5km because it was so windy and I was wet from top to toe. I was running against the wind for almost 15km and with no proper running attire that suits the cold weather running and at the same time I've got to be alert of the dangerous possibility that a car may skid or slide. Till now, I still can't believe that I completed the run. It was amazing!! Just can't describe the feelings. It's totally different when I ran under the real hot & humid sun at Putrajaya Marathon last September. Yet for both, replenishing fluids was just as important. During the half-marathon, I stopped twice to get a gulp at the water station & collected the cold sponge to refresh. The traffic police also did a great job for taking control of the morning traffic. The roads were almost flooded. I carried extra weight, water in my shoes & a pair of wet socks. Lucky thing, I wore my running cap, or else my vision surely went blurr. Anyway, I enjoyed that Sunday run and throughout the difficulties, I managed to complete my 21.2km run @ 2:15:37hrs. I forgot to check my position but I saw on the notice board, it was written the no. 10th position was timed @ 1:52:45. Maybe I was the no. 11th or 12th. But that's OK. No big deal. The beautiful medal was a proof for the sweet struggle towards victory!!


MORAL OF THE STORY : Running in the rain is OK once in a while, however, running in the rain and dark every day is not pleasing to the spirit. Runners know no obstacles, especially when it comes down to the weather factor and runners too should get used to run in the sun, in the rain, lucky enough there's no snow here in Malaysia. To me, runners should also get used with extreme heat, extreme humidity or extreme cold, like it or not. Defeating the adversity of the elements makes the runners feel unstoppable, invincible. It adds to the challenge.

YES, ooooppppssss I DID IT again!!!
:)

4 comments:

raihan said...

hello... great run at PD.. should have brought my googles along... my next MY run should be NB15k... tho i'm tempted to go for the Ipoh run on 6th may.

Abu Soffian said...

Caya lah Nezz....I respect sama U. It's not easy..berlari dlm basah kuyup...time pun cantik. this weekend buat apa?

NEZZ said...

Hi Raihan!! Yeah, PD run was an "aesthetic" one. I should have run in my tri-suit too.. heheheh..
You should run both, Ipoh Half & NB15km.

Abu, kena tukar nama, PD Half Marathon-Water-Rafting lah.. lari atas air tuh.. :)
Weekend ni rehat, Police Run dah buat twice previously, so next would be BHP Orange Run la kot..

Anonymous said...

You're right, nezz, runners must run regardless of weather...but I'd avoid thunderstorm...don't want to end up a well-done barbeque in the middle of nowhere.

Great feat in PD! Congrats! It'll be a month of sundays before I can run a HM below 2:30! But I'm still gonna run...lantak la slow pun...he he...